GPdotNET – project
GPdotNET Blog posts
- Function optimization with Genetic Algorithm by using GPdotNET
- Implementation of Traveling Salesman Problem with GPdotNET
- How to optimize analityc function in GPdotNET
- Golden Ratio and GPdotNET v2 User Interface
- GPdotNET v2.0 Feature Complete Milestone Reached
- GPdotNET v2.0 announcements
- Optimization new feature in GPdotNET v2.0
- GPdotNET v2.0 is comming
- GPdotNET v2.0 first look
- GPdotNETv2.0 for Linux now is on code.google.com
- GPdotNET Session at KulenDayz 2012
- Skrgic Selection in GPdotNET – 20.Okt.2011
- Yet another scientific work based on GPdotNET – 27. Sep. 2011
- How to add custom function in GPdotNET – 12. Jun. 2011
- GPdotNET v1.0 released – 9. Jun. 2010
- GPdotNET Beta2 released – 4. Jun. 2010
- Fixed memory problem with GPdotNET beta – 16. May. 2010
- GPdotNET on .NET 4.0 Client Profile – 13.May.2010.
- The New version of GPdotNET is coming soon – 10. Jan. 2010
- Modelling with GPdotNET Tutorial – 25. November.2009
- GPdotNET Quick Tour – 05.November. 2009
GPdotNET is open source project, published on http://gpdotnet.codeplex.com
GPdotNET is artificial intelligence tool for applying Genetic Programming and Genetic Algorithm in modeling, forecasting and optimization of various engineering problems. It is .NET (Mono) application written in C# which can run both on Windows and Lunux OS as well as OSs which support Mono.
1. Program description
GPdotNET is artificial intelligence tool for applying Genetic Programming and Genetic Algorithm in modeling and optimization of various engineering problems. It is .NET (Mono) application written in C# programming language which can run on both Windows and Linux based OS. Project started in 2006 within postgraduate project for modeling and optimization with evolutionary algorithms. As open source project, GPdotNET is first published on November 5 2009 on codeplex.com. GPdotNET is very easy to use. Even if you have no deep knowledge of GP and GA, you can apply those methods in finding solution. The project can be used in modeling any kind of engineering process, which can be described with discrete data, as well as in education during teaching students about evolutionary methods, mainly GP and GA. The project is licensed under GNU Library General Public License (LGPL). For information about license and other kind of copyright please see http://gpdotnet.codeplex.com/license.
The project is hosted at http://gpdotnet.codeplex.com for Windows users, as well as http://code.google.com/p/gpdotnet for Linux users. Main place for all news, documentation and code changes is my blog site at http://bhrnjica.wordpress.com/gpdotnet.
If you have never heard about GP and GA, recommendation for getting basic information about GP is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_programming. The wiki page also contains some links to other web sites about GP. For GA there is wiki page which contains a basic information about GA at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm.
GPdotNET v2.0 supports the following types of modeling and optimizations (see picture below):
- Model for Discrete Data – modeling with/or without prediction of discrete data by using Symbolic Regression modeling with GP
- Model&Opt. for Discrete Data – modeling with/or without prediction of discrete data by using Symbolic Regression with GP and Optimizing calculated GPdotNET model by using GA
- Model for Time Series – Time Series modeling and prediction data by using Symbolic Regression with GP
- Optimization of Analytic Function – optimization of analytic defined function by using GA
2. Cross OS and Cross platform software
One of the main requirement for GPdotNET v2.0 is ability to run on multiple OS, by using .NET and Mono framework. So GPdotNET v2 can run on all OS where Mono is implemented. During the implementation every piece of code is tested against Mono. When code is not compatible with Mono, it was replaced with the code available in Mono. I can say that the whole implementation is done using Visual Studio and MonoDevelop, working on Windows and Fedora 17. I didn’t have much time to test GPdotNET on OS other that Windows 7 and Fedora 1, so every bug report would be appreciated.
3. Modeling Tool based on Symbolic regression
GPdotNET is developed primary for modeling discrete data e.g. experimental observation from which we need to build a model. GPdotNET support almost unlimited number of input variables (up to 2000) and one output variable. It supports live simulation during program run. All GP and GA parameters can be customized. User also can choose between more than 40 arithmetic functions to be included in model.
4. Optimization of GPModels
GPdotNET v2 can run optimization of calculated GP Model. Optimization is very important for any engineering system.You can perform optimization after you perform modelling and got result. In fact you can run optimization and modeling as much as you want with only one constrains: You cannot run Optimization and Modelling at the same time.
5. Optimization of analytically defined function
GPdotNET v2 now supports optimization of any analytically defined function. You can defined function in Tree expression designed, define constrains and perform optimization.
6. Info tab in Model
When you start with modelling and/or optimization a new Info Tab is created as well. Info tab contains rich edit control in which you can paste or load any rich text content from text to picture. On this way, you can attach textual information of you model.
7. New text based file format *.gpa
GPdotNET V1.0 supported binary file format, and for large population size the file size was also big. On the other hand, with text file format you have possibility to modify file outside the GPdotNET. For example you can see whole population chromosomes, and see other data you are interesting in. You can also perform some manual modification if you like, by modifying training or testing data as well as parameters. In general manual modification file is not recommended.
8. Support for Excel and CSV export
Exporting in GPdotNET v2 is based on openXML file format, but there is some compatibility issue in Mono, so you cannot use Excel exporting in Mono. While you ruinning GPdotNET v2 on Mono you can export data in CSV file format. This is only one feature which is not running in both Mono and .NET.
9. New Look& Feel
Unlike previous version, GPdotNET v2 has new simplified GUI with only one big toolbar containing all available options, by removing all unnecessary options. Commands are split in to 4 major groups: Model, Modelling, Export and Common. It is very simple and gives you all options directly on the screen. Run, Stop and Optimize commands are shifted to main toolbar, in order to give use ability to stop or run programs from any tab page, not only from run page.
10. System requirenments:
- For running GPdotNET application
a.) OS – Windows XP SP2 or newer, other OSs which support Mono
b.).NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile, or Mono 2.8
- For development of GPdotNET
a) Visual Studio 2010 (expr, pro, ult), .NET Framework 4.0, MonoDevelop